The Chaseley Trust was established in 1946 after Lady Lilian Michaelis donated a spacious Victorian mansion on the seafront in Eastbourne as a hospital for paraplegic ex-servicemen.
Despite the enormous need for such a facility at the end of the Second World War, when it opened, Chaseley was the only dedicated home for paraplegics in the UK.
In 1959 Chaseley extended its client base to members of the civilian population, although ex-services personnel in receipt of disability pensions are still given priority when vacancies arise to this day.
Chaseley now operates as a residential home providing treatment and rehabilitation facilities for people with significant physical disabilities, often as the result of spinal injury. It became a member of the Rehab Group in December 2001.